Thursday, May 18, 2006

New and Old


One of the techniques I love to use most of all in printing is something called drypoint. This is the simplest of all ways of making a plate from which multiple images can be printed. It is simple because all it involves is scratching an appropriately soft material such as a piece of aluminium or perspex. The scratch and burr hold ink to give a particularly rich line. This is my preferred medium for sponateous work like life drawing but I have lately been using it for more composed imagined scenes such as one I'll post later today as soon as I have scanned it. Plates made in this way are rather delicate and wear out very quickly and are limited to small editions. The life drawing here is an old drypoint print and the other image is my very latest work.

No comments: